The ICCB is mandated by the USDE, Office of Civil Rights (OCR) to conduct annual reviews of a specified number of community colleges receiving federal Perkins funding. ICCB is required to
- monitor sub-recipients for civil rights compliance
- Collect and analyze civil rights info and data
- Conduct periodic compliance reviews
- Provide technical assistance
- Report activities and findings to OCR
Civil Rights reviews are conducted by a team of state staff and are designed to assist colleges in meeting the requirements of the civil rights laws and help colleges avoid a full scale OCR audit.