Quick Reference: Administration
Items bolded and italicized are drawn from the Illinois Community College Board Exhibit List.
What documentation can be used to indicate compliance with this standard?
A copy of the student grievance procedure which meets sex equity (Title IX) and persons with disabilities (Section 504) Section 504 requirements and the publication(s) in which grievance procedures can be found (include the dissemination method of these publication)
- A copy of the employee grievance procedure, which meets Civil Rights requirements, and method of dissemination. This must be more than just the negotiated contract for teachers, and must cover Title IX and Section 504
- Names of the coordinators for sec equity (Title IX) and persons with disabilities (Section 504)
- Student handbook
- Employee handbook
- Other documents utilized for the public dissemination of the grievance policy
- Board policies and/or meeting minutes
What are some of the elements of a grievance procedure?
- Ready availability to students and employees
- Provision for equitable accessibility and action to complaint
- Incorporation of due process
- Name, address, and telephone number of the Title IX/Section 504 Coordinator(s)
This list is not exhaustive. OCR has issued guidance on the required elements of grievance procedures and the corresponding elements of investigations into alleged discrimination or sexual assault. It is highly recommended that colleges review this guidance. A link to the dear colleague letter issued by OCR can be found here: OCR Dear Colleague Letter on Title IX Grievance Procedures
Checklist for a Comprehensive Approach to Addressing Harassment
Resources for prohibiting harassment and violence, including hate crimes
- Sample policies prohibiting harassment and violence
- Grievance procedures protocols and checklists
- Sources for technical assistance
Revised Sexual Harassment Guidance (September, 2017)
Sexual Harassment Guidance Q&A (September, 2017)
Top Ten Things to Know About the Notice of Nondiscrimination Document